Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Underground - A 24 hour comic

So another 24 hour comics day has come and gone and for the first time in two years I wasn't running around running tables and workshops and what not and actually got to draw. I penciled out a 24 page story but wasn't feeling the ending so altered it and cutting two pages that were just filler and have ended up with a 18 page story. I abused the A3 scanner in work today and had high hopes of abusing it some more but turns out it's pretty crap. Not to bothered with these pages as it is a 24 hour comic but won't be able to use it for any of my other work [dang!]

The weekend started well on Thursday evening when I made my studio in record time after work and managed to gather all my bits and get home to bed on the last tube. Well rested I headed for a nice mid afternoon flight aiming to be in Dublin for 6 for a lovely evening with Tree and her linux vegetarian. Everything seemed to be going well until the last passenger arrived on to the plane carrying two bags and the Ryanair Nazis were quickly upon him. "Only one bag!" they cried to which the man replied "But this one isn't mine!" Cue mad panic as it turns out several people on the plane had been given bags of duty free with bottles of Baileys from some random stranger at the gate. Airport security was not impressed and we were delayed for nearly an hour and a half while they dragged the idoits, I mean passengers, off the plane to find out where this man with the free duty free had gone to. Still made it to Dublin and Tree was at the airport to whisk me away to a late a curry and a lazy evening enjoying John by quoting the Simpsons.

24 Hour Comics went well mainly as there was nothing for me to do other then set up the room, leave out the anthology for people to buy working on a honesty box system [that seems to have worked] I was slow to get going, thumbnailing for ages but the midnight to 6am leg proved very fruitful and I ripped through the bulk of the work. I'm not going to go into much detail on the over all event as I'm planning a big blog post on the whole thing.

After a nice fry up breakfast with Fysh I jumped on the train down home and very worried that I would fall asleep and wake up in cork I sat stock straight with my eyes opened super wide the whole way down and got several odd looks from others on the train. My mum had just got back from two weeks in the states and was very jet lagged so the two of us just lazyed in the house for the afternoon not 100% sure what day of the week it was. Monday I was up early thinking I'd plenty of time before my 10.30 workshop in New Ross until I doubled checked my details and found the workshop was at 9.30. Panic, everything chucked into Jeep and on to the road to find thick fog covering everything so I had to drive super slow but still made it to Kilkenny in 30 mins with exactly one hour to make New Ross which was exactly one hours drive away if there wasn't thick fog everywhere. Had resigned myself to being late when I found myself on the new waterford motorway that had just opened. Super shinny, new and best of all empty I flew down to New Ross with 15 mins to spare. Workshop went really well if a little too well as I ran over and had to rush once again to made Wexford. Couldn't find Wexford Library even after asking a number of locals but thankfully when I finally found it the school group was running even later then me. Another good but rushed workshop due to the late arrival of the kids and I had to leave for Bunclody for my last workshop. Last workshop was a little less organised as the library didn't have desks for the kids to work on but we made due and got lots of mini comics with zombies.

After all the rushing around I suddenly found myself with loads of time as I didn't need to be in Dublin until 8. So I had a nice drive from Wexford to Dublin and a stop into my Grandparents before heading into town for a wonderful evening with Tom from CBI and uber talented childrens book illustrators Sarah McIntyre, Gary Northfield and Niamh Sharkey. We all ended up cramed into a 1970's black and white photobooth at one point during the night and the results can be seen over on Niamh's blog. My Mum came up Tuesday morning and I spent my last few hours wandering around Ikea with her and my grandmother before having a thankfully quite flight back to London.


( 7 comments — Leave a comment )
Oct. 13th, 2010 08:43 pm (UTC)
mmm i like it
Oct. 13th, 2010 09:07 pm (UTC)
Unicorn! YAY! X3
Oct. 13th, 2010 11:09 pm (UTC)
Awesome comic! I'll have to do a 24 comic one of these years. Problem is, I never remember the date!
Oct. 14th, 2010 02:25 am (UTC)
That's great! The last thing I was expecting was a cross-dressing magic man to come aboard!
Oct. 14th, 2010 09:00 am (UTC)
No one ever expects the spanish inquisition....or the cross dressing magic man
Oct. 14th, 2010 08:13 am (UTC)
WOOWOWOWOWOW!!!! SO great. You draw unicorns and magical rabbits - not to mention magical leg hair - very well. See you soon...
Oct. 15th, 2010 10:34 am (UTC)
wow - nice artwork!
Your hand lettering is great too - you should hand-letter all the time!
( 7 comments — Leave a comment )